I’m starting the second leg of AS-YET UNNAMED AND UNFOCUSED BOOK ON STANDUP COMEDY research tomorrow, flying to New York City for nine nights and then DC for two. Which means I’ll be seeing standup every night for the next week and a half, then writing about it as best I can figure how here, on the blog.
A preview? Fine, I can give you a preview (subject to change). I’ll be seeing and writing about the following shows/comics:
- Eliot Glazer (one half of [the incredible] web series)
- Jon Benjamin (voice of Archer, Ben Katz, etc.)
- Rachel Feinstein
- Godfrey, odds are, on one of the nights I head to the Comedy Cellar
- Mike Birbiglia
- Hannibal Buress, possibly
- Sharon Spell, old Pittsburgh pal and one-time New Yinzer contributor
- Whiplash @ UCB
- Judy Gold, potentially, no longer spit-curl’d
- Jackie “The Joke Man” Martling
- Judah Friedlander
- John Mulaney
- Jerry Seinfeld
Naturally, nobody’s being a good comic or show and spacing themselves out among the nine nights I’m in town, so I’ll have to make some hard choices.
Will these hard choices be the conflict that forms the basis for the story I’m looking for? Not likely. Stay tuned.