A service post; maybe Googlers will find it. I had this problem a while back on my late-2010 MacBook Pro. I’d insert a disc and it wouldn’t recognize there was anything to load. None of the fixes I found in online forums did the trick. One day it suddenly fixed itself on its own. Or, more specifically, something I did made the Superdrive function again.
Well it’s been malfunctioning for a couple months now and I couldn’t figure out why. Then I did this:
- I wanted to make sure a Firefox Add-on was working properly, so I did Tools > Add-ons and they opened in a new tab.
- I noticed a number of my add-ons were waiting for a Firefox restart.
- I clicked “Restart Firefox”.
- I heard my Superdrive make a little whir, as though it had just ejected a disc.
- Excited but incredulous, I put in a DVD and it played immediately.
So maybe try restarting Firefox through your Add-ons tab and see if it helps? For what it’s worth, here are the Add-ons I use:
- Adblock Plus
- BarTab Lite
- Coupons at Checkout
- Download Status Bar
- DuckDuckGo Plus
- Flash Video Downloader
Why do I feel as though I’ve just shown you my underwear drawer?