(An old one, found in a notepad I’ve since filled and checked to see what was throwawayable.)
- Taxidermy introduces you to an animal you’d never get to know otherwise.
- The New York Review of Books summaries books you’d never find the time to read.
- Nonfiction brings you closer to people you’d never meet face-to-face.
Each of the above involves some act of destruction:
- An animal dies.
- Your possible reading experience is tainted.
- People have their lives and words taken from them and appropriated.
Q: How does (or how can) NF assuage this damage/destruction?