San Francisco, CA 94117
dave at davemadden dot org
Ph.D. in English (Concentration in Creative Writing), University of Nebraska-Lincoln, May 2010
M.A. in English, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, May 2005
B.A. in Film Studies, University of Pittsburgh, December 1999
Teaching & Professional Experience
Assistant Professor, University of San Francisco, 2013 ? present
MFA 690: Uses of Humor in Writing
MFA 684: Narrating Nonfiction
MFA 683: History of Nonfiction
MFA 673: Truth, Ethics & Memory: The Art of Not Making Stuff Up
MFA 653: Research for Writers
MFA 622: Fiction Studio
MFA 612: Nonfiction Workshop
ENG 470: Nonfiction Workshop
ENG 400: Plot & Structure
ENG 400: Uses of Humor in Writing
Assistant Professor, University of Alabama, 2010 ? 2013
EN 609: Improvisation
EN 609: Creative Writing Pedagogy
EN 608: Special Topics: Plot & Structure
EN 608: Special Topics: Canon Nonfiction
EN 605: Nonfiction Workshop
EN 605: Nonfiction Book Blitz
EN 408: Forms of Writing: Nonfiction Workshop
EN 408: Forms of Writing: Plot & Structure
EN 408: Forms of Wrting: Research and Reportage in Nonfiction
EN 301: Prose Tour
EN 200: Introduction to Creative Writing
Graduate Teaching Assistant, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, 2004 ? 2010
Courses Taught in creative writing, literature, and composition
Teaching Intern, UNL, Fall 2009
Course Assisted: ENGL 212: Introduction to Gay and Lesbian Literature (1 section)
Instructor, UN’s NUStart Program, Summer 2005, Summer 2006
Course Taught: ENGL 180: Introduction to Literature (2 sections)
Research & Creative Activity
- If You Need Me I’ll Be Over There. Bloomington: Indiana UP, 2016.
- The Authentic Animal: Inside the Odd and Obsessive World of Taxidermy. New York: St. Martin’s, 2011.
essays in anthologies:
- “Creative Exposition, Or Another Way That Nonfiction Can Be Good.” Bending Genre: Essays on Creative Nonfiction. Margot Singer and Nicole Walker, eds. New York: Continuum, 2013.
- “Not Forgotten Evenings on Certain Faraway Balconies.” Pittsburgh Love Stories. Pittsburgh: The New Yinzer, 2004.
articles in magazines:
- “The Speakeasy.” Harper?s July 2015: 56-62.
- “Armed with Colors” (cover story). Pittsburgh Magazine Sept. 2003: 52-59.
- “In Perfect Union? (cover story). Pittsburgh Pulp 25 April 2002: 8-10.
- “Perchance to Dream? (cover story). In Pittsburgh Weekly 23 Feb. 2000: 12-19.
essays in journals:
- ?Meme 11.? Brevity 51 (January 2016)
- ?Meme 8.? Cherry Tree 2 (Spring 2016).
- ?The Book That I Carry with Me Every Day.? The Writers Bloc (5 Feb 2015)
- ?For Lack of Anything Better.? The Rumpus (21 October 2014)
- ?Meme 12.? Rappahannock Review 1.4 (Fall 2014)
- “A Rapi I Wroteii.” DIAGRAM 13.6 (31 December 2013)
- ?Meme 5,? ?Meme 10.? 1966: A Journal of Creative Nonfiction (Spring 2014)
- ?Old Things.? Bendinggenre.com. (3 March 2013)
- “Some Daisies.” The Normal School Spring 2013.
- “Bodies of Water.” Lo-Ball Magazine 4 (2012).
- “Meme 4.” Denver Quarterly 46.3. (2012): 71-2.
- “In the Desert Air.” NO? Online (11 August 2010).
- “Play Dead.” Tampa Review 37 (2009): 47-52.
- ?Another Man?s Treasure.? Prairie Schooner (Winter 2014): 83-98.
- ?Irgendwo, Nirgendwo.? New Ohio Review 14 (Fall 2013): 27-42.
- “Little Fingers.” Hawai’i Review 77. (Winter 2012): 99-117.
- “Smear the Queer.” Barrelhouse 11. (2012): 21-33.
- “Pamela.” Indiana Review 30.2 (2008): 59-73.
- “Karl Friedrich Gauss.” Hobart 9 (2008): 114-119.
- “She Once Grew the Prize-Winning Cactus at the Nebraska State Fair.” Heartlands 5 (2007): 62-63.
- “The Single Father” (with Adam Peterson). Mid-American Review 27.2 (2007): 60-74.
- “Prime Time.” The Creator Studio 9 (2007): 46-51. (Translated in French and Spanish.)
- “An Uneven House.” Beloit Fiction Journal 18 (2005): 41-52.
- “What Do You See When You’re All Flesh and Failure?” Bedtime Stories for People in Trouble. Pittsburgh: The New Yinzer, 2002. 10.
- “In the Mind of Myron Cope.” Magazino 2 (2002): 34-37.
- “Three Short Pieces on the Sorrows of the Earthbound.” Yawp 4 (2002): 64-74.
- “Another Poem about Flowers.” Third Coast (Spring 2008): 129.
- Rev. of Reading Novalis in Montana by Melissa Kwasny. Octopus Magazine 12 (2009):<http://www.octopusmagazine.com/issue12/madden.htm>.
- Rev. of Sedaris by Kevin Kopelson. Prairie Schooner 82.4 (2008): 174-177.
- The Small City. Pittsburgh: Brett Yasko, 2003.
Awards & Nominations
Jesuit Foundation Grant, University of San Francisco
—award of $5000 to launch lecture series on writing and spirituality at USF
Jane Geske Award, Prairie Schooner, 2015
—award of $250 given annually to one of the top stories published in the magazine
Bernard De Voto Fellowship in Nonfiction, Bread Loaf Writers? Conference, 2014
—one of three fellowships given; worked with Scott Russell Sanders
2012 Flannery O’Connor Award for Short Fiction, University of Georgia Press
—If You Need Me I’ll Be over There named as one of 39 finalists
Research Grants Council Grant, University of Alabama, 2012-2014
—awarded $3000 toward research for my book on standup comedy
Best American Essays 2010, Christopher Hitchens, ed.
—“Play Dead” named as a notable essay
Maude Hammond Fling Fellowship, 2008-2009
—one of only 6 recipients of this annual university-wide award of $20,000 for research and a one-year release from teaching
Tennessee Williams Scholarship, Summer 2008
—awarded on a competitive basis from the Sewanee Writers’ Conference
AWP Intro Journal Award (nonfiction), Spring 2008
—awarded by the Association of Writers & Writing Programs to three writers nationwide
Graduate Vreeland Award, Spring 2008
—awarded annually by the UNL English department to one graduate student for an outstanding portfolio of creative writing (composed of chapters from The Authentic Animal)
Outstanding Graduate Teaching Assistant Award, Winter 2008
—received Honorable Mention from UNL’s Office of Graduate Studies
Sherwood Anderson Award for Fiction, Winter 2007
—annual contest held by Mid-American Review, judged in 2007 by Aimee Bender
First Place, Prairie Schooner / Mari Sandoz Prize for Fiction, Spring 2005
—awarded annually by UNL English department for best short story written by a graduate student
University Fellowship, 2005-2006
—awarded by the UNL English department on a competitive basis to incoming PhD students
Certificate of Recognition for Contributions to Students, January 2005
—awarded to instructors university-wide by the UNL Parents Association
McPhee Fellowship, Summer 2004
—awarded by the UNL English department for personal summer research
Conferences & Readings
AWP Panel: Don?t Drink the Kool-Aid ? Los Angeles, Ca., March 2016
NonfictioNow Conference ? Flagstaff, Ariz., Oct. 2015, panel moderator and participant
Bazaar Writers Salon ? San Francisco, Ca., May 2015
Bread Loaf Writers Conference ? Middlebury College, August 2014, reading and craft class
MFA Faculty Reading Series ? University of San Francisco, October 17, 2013
AWP Panel: Bending Genre ? Boston, MA, March 6, 2013
Nebraska Summer Writers’ Conference ? Lincoln, Neb., June 12, 2012
Arkansas Literary Festival ? Little Rock, Ark., April 14, 2012
Emerging Writers’ Festival ? University of San Francisco, March 28-29, 2012
Hendrix College ? Conway, Ark., Feb. 10, 2012
Saginaw Valley State University ? University Center, Mich., Nov. 21, 2011
Brazos Bookstore Reading ? Houston, Tex., Nov. 11, 2011
University of Alabama, Hoole Special Collections Library Reading ? Nov. 9, 2011
AWP Pedagogy Panel, February 2011
—presented keynote craft lecture, “Anything but the Truth: Lies in Nonfiction”
Bankhead Visiting Writers Series ? University of Alabama, September 2010
AWP Pedagogy Panel, April 2010
—presented paper, “Learning from Movies in Rendering Fictional Characters”
Omaha Lit Fest, September 2008
—moderated panel on book covers and book design
Scholars Reading ? Sewanee Writers’ Conference, July 2008
—read from the introduction to The Authentic Animal
Nebraska Summer Writers’ Conference, June 2008
—moderated a panel on writing from the self
Teaching & Research Panel on Gender & Sexuality in English Studies, October 2007
—graduate student panelist, part of UNL English department’s brown-bag luncheon series
Nebraska Summer Writers’ Conference, June 2007
—participated in a panel on collaborative writing
English Department Pedagogy Conference, Fall 2004
—presented paper on incorporating popular culture projects in a composition course
Associated Writing Programs Pedagogy Panel, Spring 2004
—presented paper, “Using Silent Comics to Teach Voice”
No Name Reading Series ? Lincoln, Neb., 2004-2009
Pros Only Reading Series ? Pittsburgh, Pa., December 2003
University of San Francisco MFA Program
Coordinator, Ignatian Lectures on Writing and Spirituality, 2015?present
Coordinator, All-Day MFA Writing Retreats, 2014?present
Coordinator, Lone Mountain Reading Series, 2014?present
Coordinator, Faculty Reading, 2013?present
Member, Admissions Committee, 2014?present
Member, Steering Committee, 2013?present
Member, Life after the MFA Committee, 2013?present
Genre Coordinator in Nonfiction, 2013?present
University of Alabama
Non-Tenured Member, Executive Committee, 2012-2013
Member, Job Placement Committee, 2011-2013
Member, English Department Diversity Committee, 2010-2011
Member, Creative Writing Faculty Committee, 2010-2013
Member, Bankhead Visiting Writers Committee, 2010-2013
Member, Coal Royalty Chairholder Committee, 2010-2013
University of Nebraska
Graduate Appointee, English Department’s Chair’s Advisory Committee, 2008-2009
Vice President, English Graduate Student Association, 2008-2009
Executive Board Member, English Graduate Student Association, 2007-2008
Assistant Director, Nebraska Summer Writers’ Conference, 2005-2007
High School Workshop Coordinator, Nebraska Summer Writers’ Conference, 2004-2005
Founder/Organizer, UNL Fiction Colloquium, 2004-2006
Senior Fiction Reader, Prairie Schooner, 2007-2009
Book Prize Screener in Fiction, Prairie Schooner, 2006-2009
Editorial Assistant, Prairie Schooner, 2003-2007
Committee Member, No Name Reading Series, 2003-2007
Other Professional Activities
Judge for Departmental Nonfiction Award, University of San Francisco, 2012
Judge for Nonfiction Contest, Owl Eye Review, 2012
Founding Editor, The Cupboard, 2006-2014
Founding Editor, The New Yinzer, 2001-2003